Blueberry extract is a concentrated infusion of blueberry (berries and sometimes leaves or shoots). Blueberry (Vaccinium myrtillus L.) belongs to Vaccinium genus, Ericaceae family.
- Vasoprotective; favors normalization of metabolic processes
- Preventive measure against visual organs diseases
- Effective drug product in complex therapy
Chemical composition of the blueberry extract:
- Sugar (5,3 - 7,4 % on wet weight basis)
- Organic acids (0,90 – 1,28 %) and pectins (0,14 – 0,69 %)
- Tanning agents (up to 12 % on dry weight basis)
- Glucose, fructose and saccharose
- Organic acids (citric, apple, amber, ethanedioic and lactic acids)
- Carotene (0,75 – 1,6 mg / 100 g), vitamin C (5-6 mg / 100 g)
- Vitamin B1 (0,045 mg / 100 g), riboflavin (0,08 mg)
- Nicotinic acid (2,1 mg / 100 g)
- Flavonids (460 – 600 mg / 100 g) (quercitrine, isoquercitrin, rutin, hyperin and astrahaline)
- Coloring agent myrtillin (mixture of monomethyl esters delphinidin and malvidin)
- Glycosides, galactosides, delphinidin arabinoside, petunidin arabinoside, cyanidine arabinoside, malvidin arabinoside and peonidin arabinoside
- Mixture of manganese and iron
- Closed-ring hexavalent alcohol inosite and anthracene derivatives
- Tanning agents of pyrocatechin family (up to 20 % on dry weight basis)
- Drying compounded oil (up to 31 %) and proteins (up to 18 %)
Effect and administration:
- Blueberry is a source of anthocyanidins (anti-oxidizing agents). It also increases the level of dopamine – an agent that regulates brain activity, increases growth hormone production (somatotropin), improves cell renewal.
- It also improves flow capacity of cells, neurotransmission from nerve cells to other cells, decreases severity of inflammatory processes
- It reduces eye fatigue while reading, computer operation, potentiates other eye treatment methods (eye drops, exercises, synthetic drugs), improves natural ocular tissues protection against destructive changes of retina and lens, improves night vision by normalizing cell membranes. Blueberry flavonoids make retina capillaries stronger and improve regeneration of rhodopsin – eye pigment that receives light in the dark.